Thursday, April 26, 2012

Music Made Me 29

September - Earth, Wind & Fire

We celebrated Jessica's thirtieth birthday with a disco house party. We'd warmed up with a number of excellent New Years Eve events, but this disco party was where the house dance floor really hit solid gold. People dressed up and really got into it. Of course, disco is genetically engineered to speak directly to the booty, so there's no denying it.

1901 - Phoenix

There was this song on the radio that kept getting stuck in Jessica's head. She would try to sing it to me, but I had no idea what she was talking about. What the hell is "Lisztomania"?

She found the album on Zune and downloaded it in time for our trip down to Portland for my friend Carlos' wedding. So at last I was able to hear this catchy tune. But wait, what's this next song… "1901"?

This is… perfection. I don't even know where to start. This song just drives the whole way through, taking you on an expertly crafted journey. I have no words for it. I'm completely in love with this song.

Later we're at the wedding venue, but it's the day before. We're hanging out in the pool outdoors, and another wedding is going down nearby in the place where Carlos will be married the next night. I remember them playing another song off that Phoenix album we'd listened to on the ride down: "Girlfriend".

Okay, it was settled. I had to explore this band for real. Upon returning from the trip I completely absorbed myself in Phoenix's discography. Was. Not. Disappointed.

Intro - The XX

This is one of my all time favorite album intros. It's exactly how you should prepare someone for the musical journey that follows. Simple, building, ear catching, but not overwhelming.

And what a solid album it is. A distinct point of view, and a refined sound. Generally super relaxed, but also completely capable of getting things moving in its own way. My only complaint with this album is that it's the only one. I demand more.

Underneath the Sycamore - Death Cab For Cutie

I find that I paint best when I have music on. So when I sat down for the crazy task of painting every day for thirty days, I needed a lot of music. Which made it a great time for a new Death Cab album. I don't think I would have listened to this album so much in immediate repeat if it hadn't been for the fact that I was spending hours painting every single evening. Not because it isn't excellent, because it is. I just generally try to space out my album listening more.

---

And at last we have caught up with the present. Thirty of years of my life, defined by the music I was listening to. 140 tracks in total.

It seems odd to just trail off here. But that's the thing, isn't it? Now that I've started this… it won't be done until I'm dead. Who knows what music the next thirty years will bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment