Thursday, May 24, 2007

It's about time

It's been almost ten years, but it looks like we're finally getting a sequel to Starcraft. Blizzard announced Starcraft 2 to a huge crowd of giddy Koreans this past weekend. But let's be honest, it's not just the Korean gaming professionals that are excited; Starcraft is one of those games that everyone grooved on for years and is still totally playable today.

As always the cinematic is awesome but tells us nothing. There's a pretty long gameplay demo that gives us a taste of what's in store for the Protoss, but of course that only makes me hunger for more. So far it looks like Starcraft but prettier. But honestly, that's all I really need. Just give me an excuse to play the game that I secretly wish I was still playing anyway.

I've always preferred Starcraft to Warcraft, thematically. Something about that Starship Troopers meets Aliens vibe strikes a chord with me. True, Warcraft got more interesting when they brought in the undead, but there's always a part of me that wish I was rocking it Zerg style. Modernizing this franchise to make it relevant again is pretty darn exciting, and if there would have been an E3 this year, this would have been the biggest news from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment