Thursday, May 3, 2007

Now Playing

GameSpy has a periodic article that they do called What We're Playing where all the staff weighs in on what games they're playing (aptly named, yes). I find it interesting because comparing all their lists can give you an idea of what games have broad and/or lasting value. But it's also nice because you get little two sentence impressions without the pressure of a full preview or review. And as I continue this blog I'm seeing the value in that from their end. I try to complete every game I come across and have something interesting to say, but sometimes the journey to get there is so long that it's worth throwing in offhand comments along the way.

Guitar Hero II (360): It's hard to say how much I love this game. Currently I'm working on 5-starring Hard and scraping by in Expert (currently in tier 6). Both of which are totally owning me, so I don't know if I'm gonna make it, but it's still fun anyway. Seriously, if you have a 360, get this game.

Command & Conquer 3 (PC): I'm towards the end of the GDI campaign. The game totally brings together the classic C&C setting with streamlined gameplay from Generals. However it does seem like I can always succeed by just turtling and then building the uber army (no unit caps FTW?).

Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA): Holy crap old school RPGs are long; I've been playing this one pretty solid during my commute for months. But at least the job system is interesting, making me feel like I'm not grinding the whole time. After killing lots of time getting uber job combos and all the legendary weapons I'm finally enroute to the final boss.

World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (PC): I'm actually approaching my criteria for being "done" with the game. I've completed every soloable quest in Outland and most of the group quests, leaving me for a relatively small quest log. It's actually kinda annoying because there's no longer a point for me to play at any time other than in a group. The stuff coming in the next patch looks interesting, but outside of that I may end up putting this game down for awhile after a couple weekends more.

Twilight Princes (Wii): Haven't got back to this for a couple weeks because of other games. I've only finished the first dungeon so I've got a lot ahead of me. I'm not yet sold on the wiimote gestures for fighting but everything else seems pretty good.

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS): In my commute time I've decided to put this on hold so that I can focus completely on finishing FFV. But I'm eager to return to it as that I had a good time with its predecessor.

No comments:

Post a Comment